Monday, October 10, 2011

Geek TV

My son Nathan and I have some great laughs watching geeky TV shows together.  Nathan is only 13, and most of these shows target an older audience, but have enough geek references that he appreciates most of the humor.  Our top 3:
1) Chuck.  I've been watching this one since the beginning. Added Nathan into the loop about a year ago (Netflix great for this).  Both Chuck and Morgan are great characters, a lot of great laughs in this show.
2) Big Bang Theory.  This one has the most adult/sexual humor and situations per episode, I think. But still, the quirky/smart/nerdy characters are a lot of fun.
3) The Guild.  Not a TV show per se, but seeing as how we watch a lot of TV through Netflix anyway, the distinctions blur.
All these shows aim for a 20-30 demographic (I'm guessing), so I can't recommend you watch any of these with your kids, that's up to you to decide. With all of these, I've watched first, then allowed Nathan to join me.
It has forced me to think though: Why do I have no problem playing a rated M game like Halo, or even Gears of War with my 13-year-old, but I'm hesitant to let him watch when there's a show with couples sleeping together?  I have some answers (for myself, at least) that I'll likely share in a future post.

What's some of your favorite TV that you share with any/all of your kids?

1 comment:

  1. Great shows. I don't have any kids, but, I would probably share Star Trek (all) and then it depends on what he/she likes.

    ReplyDelete